First let us go over 9 Best Practices List.
- Auto Shrink runs at regular interval (30 mins) in background of SQL Server and it is cause performance dropping fragmentation. It should be turn off.
- All the statistics should be updated at regular interval.
- Compressed backup should be used instead of regular backup as it improves speed and performance. Restoring compressed backup is faster than regular restore.
- Always take full database backups along with differential and log backups. Log backups can be very much useful for point-in-time recovery.
- Pay attention to “Activity Monitor” – a new feature which displays current activity of a) Process Time, b) Waiting Tasks, c) Database I/O, d) Batch Requests/Sec.
- Control the configurations as well enforces policies using Policy Based Management.
- Utilize new datatypes DATE and TIME instead of conventional DATETIME.
- Keep database updated with latest SPs and Cumulative Updates.
- Use Dynamic Management Views to figure out longest running queries as well most popular queries.
Social Media is new thing and I am really enjoying to be part of it. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Feedreader are my latest interests. Here is my web presence in social media.
SQLAuthority Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/SQLAuthority
SQLAuthority Email: http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=872428
You can hire me through my company, read the details of here.
Best thing about my job is I can work from office as well as from home office. Find me in action at home office.
Reference : Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)