There are various issues which I have seen SQL installation and most of the time they are intuitive. The error message is mostly helpful and provides the right direction. In this blog we would discuss error Updating permission setting for folder failed:
There are many times when a DBA should work like a detective and find the cause of the issue which is reported by various teams. Sometimes it is an application team, sometimes an infrastructure team and sometimes its own learning. I always believe looking at the data points and finally connect the dots to make a story. Let us learn about why we have audit trace in the data folder.
Even though my consulting is mostly around performance tuning, I can see many customers who want to start using the new capabilities of SQL Server for their existing application as they plan to do an upgrade of their infrastructure. In one of engagement with a bank, they wanted to explore more about SQL Auditing capability. Since they were new I got engaged with them in implementing compliance, which they must follow. In the recent past, I have written below blogs on SQL Audit.
Once there was a security breach on my client machine and they wanted to know who made changes to the SysAdmin role. They contacted me and my first question was that, are you are auditing such changes and as expected answer was No. I gave them answer that nothing can be done as a consultant. They still wanted my suggestion to prevent this in future. So, they want to track if someone does such things in future. Let us see a script to audit login and role member change.