Have you come across a situation where setup is taking many hours while navigating from one screen to another in clustered environment? Have you ever waited for many hours watching following message related to slow installation wizard on the cluster?
Please wait while Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Setup process the current operation
When I looked into Detail.txt, I found something like below
(01) 2017-04-08 16:14:46 Slp: Running Action: RunRemoteDiscoveryAction
(01) 2017-04-08 16:14:46 Slp: Running discovery on local machine
(01) 2017-04-08 16:14:47 Slp: Discovery on local machine is complete
(01) 2017-04-08 16:14:47 Slp: Running discovery on remote machine: CRM-SQLNODE1
(01) 2017-04-08 21:13:35 Slp: Discovery on CRM-SQLNODE1 is complete
(01) 2017-04-08 21:13:35 Slp: Completed Action: RunRemoteDiscoveryAction, returned True
Notice the time in each row. There is a HUGE gap of time between two lines and that’s the time SQL setup is doing a remote discovery to find out what is there on a other node of the cluster.
When I asked, they informed that they have done hardening of the server as per the company standards. While checking their hardening document, we found that Admin shares were disabled.
The remote discovery issue was resolved by setting the following registry key to 1.
- Open a registry editor, start > Run > Regedit.exe.
- Navigate to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
- In the right pane, locate and double-click AutoShareServer.
- Change the value from 0 to 1.
- Close the registry editor, and restart the Server service for the change to take effect.
Have you seen this issue earlier? Do you know any other such issues due to hardening?
Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)