SQL SERVER – Get Current TimeZone Name in SQL Server

A very common question we developer often encounters is what is the current Timezone of the server where SQL Server is installed. It is very easy to get current Timezone of the server where SQL Server is installed. Here is the simple script for the same.

DECLARE @TimeZone VARCHAR(50)
EXEC MASTER.dbo.xp_regread 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',
'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation',
'TimeZoneKeyName',@TimeZone OUT
SELECT @TimeZone

As my server is in India it will display following results.

SQL SERVER - Get Current TimeZone Name in SQL Server timezonelist

I have been using this script for a quite a while and I have no idea of the origin of this script. Is there any other way to get the Timezone for SQL Server.

Solarwinds
MySQL – When to Use TIMESTAMP or DATETIME – Difference Between TIMESTAMP or DATETIME
MySQL – How to Detect Current Time Zone Name in MySQL

we can also get time zone offset
    with following command.

DECLARE @TZ SMALLINT
    SELECT @TZ=DATEPART(TZ, SYSDATETIMEOFFSET())
    SELECT CAST(@TZ/60 AS VARCHAR(5))+’:’+Cast(ABS(@TZ)%60 AS VARCHAR(5));

• I like this way of getting round the problem of no time zone name within SQL.

• Thank you Parth! I can always find answers *only* in user comments.

• Thanks much Dude. It helped me..

• SELECT DATEPART(TZOFFSET , SYSDATETIMEOFFSET()),
    DATENAME(TZOFFSET , SYSDATETIMEOFFSET())

• datediff(hh,sysutcdatetime(),getdate())

• Most of the time, I just need to normalize a datetime value (we have servers in all USA timezones). So, I use code similar to that which seantmanley provided above. Sometimes I will use the minutes offset, other times the hour. I’m in the USA, so I don’t need to worry about UTC offsets that are not whole hours.

SELECT DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), GetDate()) AS TimeZoneOffsetMinutes
    , DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), GetDate()) / 60 AS TimeZoneOffsetHours

If I need to worry about offsets that are not on a full hour boundary:

SELECT DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), GetDate()) AS TimeZoneOffsetMinutes
    , Convert(decimal(5,2), DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), GetDate())) / Convert(decimal(5,2), 60) AS TimeZoneOffsetHours
    , Convert(decimal(5,2), Convert(decimal(5,2), DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), GetDate())) / Convert(decimal(5,2), 60)) AS TimeZoneOffsetHours2

— Test code for fractional hours
    DECLARE @dt datetime2
    SET @dt = GetDate()
    –To verify this works with fractional offsets, uncomment the next line
    –SET @dt = DateAdd(minute, -30, @dt)
    SELECT DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), @dt) AS TimeZoneOffsetMinutes
    , Convert(decimal(5,2), DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), @dt)) / Convert(decimal(5,2), 60) AS TimeZoneOffsetHours
    , Convert(decimal(5,2), Convert(decimal(5,2), DateDiff(minute, GETUTCDATE(), @dt)) / Convert(decimal(5,2), 60)) AS TimeZoneOffsetHours

• what is Daylight Saving Time please tell me

• @jayesh, when I was in India I had the same question. Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

• The solutions in these comments only show the current timezone offset, not the timezone name. Getting the timezone name is important for handling timezones which observe daylight savings during Summer.

For example if your server is running in New York’s timezone, then its offset at the moment is UTC+4, but if you are looking at a datetime value from last Christmas it would have been UTC+5 at that time. If you know the timezone name you can use AT TIME ZONE to handle this for you (requires SQL 2016+)

• Perfect! Thanks!

• Hi we are into health care domain over old server time showing web application example 5.02 PM recently we installed new data base server and installed same sql server 2008 R2 but in this server new server time showing 5:02 p.m health care web application you me out

Configuration details