While trying to install SQL Server 2012 in clustered environment, client reported that it is hanging at “Please Wait” state forever. Eventually they have to kill the setup by task manager. Let us see an error related to RPC Server.
Since I am not an expert in setup, I asked them to have a look at setup log and see if they have any error in Detail.txt
(16) 2016-02-14 15:56:13 Slp: Sco: Attempting to check if container ‘WinNT://ASIA’ of user account exists
(16) 2016-02-14 15:56:15 ACE: ERROR: Encountered exception when validating service account ‘ASIA\SQL_SVC’: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: The RPC server is unavailable.
—> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable.
at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.Find(String name, String schemaClassName)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.UserSecurity.ValidateCredentials(ServiceContainer ctx, String userName, String password, String serviceName)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Agent.AccountsUtil.ValidateUserNameAndPassword(String serviceName, String userName, SqlSecureString pwd, Boolean userNameRequired, Boolean isCluster, ValidationState validationState, ServiceContainer context)
I had no idea about this error, so I searched on the internet. Few sites on the internet pointed that it could be an issue with DNS suffix. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754143.aspx
Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes specifies that resolution for unqualified names that are used on this computer are limited to the domain suffixes of the primary suffix and all connection-specific suffixes. Connection-specific suffixes are configured in DNS suffix for this connection. The primary DNS suffix is configured by clicking Properties on the Computer Name tab (available in System in Control Panel). The local setting is used only if the associated Group Policy is disabled or unspecified.
One of the link mentioned to verify that both machines are able to talk to each other using \\SQLNODE1 and \\SQLNODE2 which was working in this situation.
For this server, we identified that the DNS Primary suffix was not correctly configured on the machine.
This was causing RPC error when resolving names through DNS Resolution. Once we added the DNS suffix with the domain name in the TCP property with the service account is, we could proceed to next screens and install SQL successfully.
Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)