SQL SERVER – T-SQL Script to Insert Carriage Return and New Line Feed in Code

Very simple and very effective. We use all the time for many reasons – formatting, while creating dynamically generated SQL to separate GO command from other T-SQL, saving some user input text to database etc. Let us learn about T-SQL Script to Insert Carriage Return and New Line Feed in Code.

SQL SERVER -  T-SQL Script to Insert Carriage Return and New Line Feed in Code csv-800x211

DECLARE @strPrint VARCHAR(100);
SET @strPrint = @strPrint + 'SQLAuthority.com';
PRINT @strPrint;

ResultSet:
Example of carriage return
SQLAuthority.com
———————————
Example of new line feed
SQLAuthority.com

A CSV is a comma separated values file, which allows data to be saved in a table structured format. CSV files are plain-text files, which makes them easy for the website developer to create. Because the CSV is plain-text, it makes the data easy to import into any spreadsheet program or database regardless of what type of computer or software program you are using.  CSVs look like a garden-variety spreadsheet, but with a .csv extension.

Let me know your thoughts about this blog post.

, ,
SQL SERVER – 2005 – Create Script to Copy Database Schema and All The Objects – Stored Procedure, Functions, Triggers, Tables, Views, Constraints and All Other Database Objects
SQL SERVER – 2005 – Use of Non-deterministic Function in UDF – Find Day Difference Between Any Date and Today

• Thanks!
    …But, do you know how to clean the messages.
    I want to clean : (1 row(s) affected) because my message with print command appears after those messagges(row affected).

• Thanks! This has helped. My testing of your code and results:
    SET @strPrint = ‘Example of new line feed, then a carriage return’;
    SET @strPrint = @strPrint + CHAR(10)+CHAR(13);
    SET @strPrint = @strPrint + ‘SQLAuthority.com, resulted in double space’;
    PRINT @strPrint;
    DECLARE @WinNewLine nvarchar(2)
    DECLARE @Tab nvarchar(1)
    SET @WinNewLine = CONVERT(nvarchar(2),CHAR(13)+CHAR(10))/* reverse for dbl space*/
    SET @Tab = CONVERT(nvarchar(1),CHAR(9))
    PRINT ‘———————————‘
    DECLARE @strPrint VARCHAR(100);
    SET @strPrint = ‘Example of WinNewLine, with a Tab’;
    SET @strPrint = @strPrint + @WinNewLine;
    SET @strPrint = @strPrint + @Tab + ‘SQLAuthority.com’;
    PRINT @strPrint;

Results:
    Example of carriage return, then a line feed
    SQLAuthority.com
    ———————————
    Example of new line feed, then a carriage return

SQLAuthority.com, resulted in double space
    ———————————
    Example of WinNewLine, with a Tab
    SQLAuthority.com

I’m using sql server 2005, and copying and pasting the results of the query below into notepad, and all the text is in one long line, not multiple lines, as I expect. The query is:

DECLARE @NewLineChar AS CHAR(2)
    SET @NewLineChar= CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)

DECLARE @Log varchar(max)
    SET @Log = ‘Log as of ‘ + convert(varchar(max), GetDate(), 101) + ‘.’ + @NewLineChar
    SET @Log = @Log + ‘———————————————–‘+ @NewLineChar

Shefali

• sri lakshmi kadi
    December 27, 2010 1:03 pm

I need information regarding,how the sql server recognises the end of the statements if we are executing no of statements at a TIME.

I want to know how can I find the carriage return from one of my Email_address column? The column is varchar(255) field.
    We have some records that someone added the carriage return in the e-mail address, I want to select those rows out from the table.

Jenny

• Does anyone have an idea how to embed a PAGE BREAK in T-SQL?

Line Breaks can be embedded with CHAR(13)+CHAR(10), but how about Page Breaks?

I have an application which may be output to several devices which have different pagesizes. Originally, I thought about sending multiple blank lines, but that is not a solution since devices can have different page sizes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hopper44

I am trying to generate a dynamic .ics file. I need true line breaks in it and using CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) doesn’t work. It just puts spaces in and then the .ics file is not valid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need a line break with no spaces – sort of like does in html. Thanks!

• Hi, I realized that I can select into variables and then print out what a need using CHAR(13) to get the line breaks I need in my .ics file. Thanks, Josephine

• Bart Madriaga
    March 9, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks a lot to all you guys. It has helped solved my problem

• Hi Pinal Dave,

i am importing to access db file into sqlsever 2008 .
    in access db file one of the field name is amount in that column value is $(600.00) like that ,
    when i am trying to import into sqlserver 2008 i get an error ,
    in sqlserver i took data type is money ,in access db currency

how to insert “$(600.00)” in sqlserver .

thanks and regards
    suryagiri

• Just a note, you are going to need to use char(13) + char(10) if you want a newline to come through the sp_send_dbmail. Most email clients are requiring this sequence to register a newline.

• how about this one
    I would like to PREVENT a new line in the following type of codeing

print a message
    do something
    print result

so the output is allon one line

e.g
    PRINT ‘restoring database : ‘
    RESTORE DATABAE ……..
    PRINT ‘success / failure’ depending on restore

output woulr then be
    restoring database : success / failure

any ideas?

thanks in advance.
    Bryden

• Great …………

• Thanks pinal,
    Your post always help me to find easiest and understandable solution.
    Keep doing good things,,, have a nice day,,,

• Nice Article ya.. i search for this only…

• if you don’t know the result of my question just say i don’t know that’s it please don’t show this type of answeres

• sir i want export my database table data into a text file using sql server 2008

ex: name no ph
    sri 123 12344
    234 4545 565

like this format i want the result

• Hari Saran Manandhar
    January 28, 2013 2:23 pm

SELECT
    ‘:20:’+’test’+CHAR(13)+CHAR(10)+
    ‘:23B:CRED’+CHAR(13)+CHAR(10)+
    +’-}’

This give a result in a single row. In sql server 2012 when I copy this content and paste in notepadd it gives 3 rows with CRLF. But In SQL Server 2005 when copied from a row and paste into notepad it shows in a single row. So How can I get the same result as in SQL Server 2012?

• in the above all post i am seeing the new character is printed but that using values from variables, does anybody having solution without using variables for ex: i have EmpID and EmpName from my Employee table
    and the i have 3 records are as
    EmpID EmpName
    ————————
    01 – Jhon
    02- Merry
    03- Love

I want to display the 3 records as without using any variables….

Jhon
    ——-
    Merry
    ——-
    Love

PLease reply i am waiting….for response… Thanks in advance…

• How can you find all the carriage return line feeds in a field in sql? I have a text field that has multiple lines and I’m looking for certain data on each line.