I have to admit, Spiderman is my favorite superhero. The most recent movie recently was released in theaters, so it has been at the front of my mind for some time.
Spiderman was my favorite superhero even before the latest movie came out, but of course I took my whole family to see the movie as soon as I could! Every one of us loved it, including my daughter. We all left the movie thinking how great it would be to be Spiderman. So, with that in mind, I started thinking about how we are like Spiderman in our everyday lives, especially developers.
Let me list some of the reasons why I think every developer is a Spiderman.
- We have special powers, just like a superhero. There is a reason that when there are problems or emergencies, we get called in, just like a superhero! Our powers might not be the ability to swing through skyscrapers on a web, our powers are our debugging abilities, but there are still similarities!
- Spiderman never gives up. He might not be the strongest superhero, and the ability to shoot web from your wrists is a pretty cool power, it’s not as impressive as being able to fly, or be invisible, or turn into a hulking green monster. Developers are also human. We have cool abilities, but our true strength lies in our willingness to work hard, find solutions, and go above and beyond to solve problems.
- Spiderman and developers have “spidey sense.” This is sort of a joke in the comics and movies as well – that Spiderman can just tell when something is about to go wrong, or when a villain is just around the corner. Developers also have a spidey sense about when a server is about to crash (usually at midnight on a Saturday).
- Spiderman makes a great superhero because he doesn’t look like one. Clark Kent is probably fooling no one, hiding his superhero persona behind glasses. But Peter Parker actually does blend in. Great developers also blend in. When they do their job right, no one knows they were there at all.
- “With great power comes great responsibility.” There is a joke about developers (sometimes we even tell the jokes) about how if they are unhappy, the server or databases might mysteriously develop problems. The truth is, very few developers would do something to harm a company’s computer system – they take their job very seriously. It is a big responsibility.
These are just a few of the reasons why I love Spiderman, why I love being a developer, and why I think developers are the greatest. Let me know other reasons you love Spiderman and developers, or if you can shoot webs from your wrists – I might have a job for you.
Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.sqlauthority.com)