Question: What is N in nvarchar?
Answer: n in nvarchar or nchar stands for world national.
The ISO synonyms for nchar are national char and national character. The ISO synonyms for nvarchar are national char varying and national character varying. Well that we know that N stands for the national, here is one more question for you.
What does n stand for varcharmax(n)?
Well, the answer is again very simple. Here n in (n) stands for string length in byte-pairs and not a number of characters (a common misconception).
Well, that’s it. I have covered not one but two questions in today’s blog post.
Let me know what you think of this video. Here are my few recent videos and I would like to know what is your feedback about them.
- List All Sessions – SQL in Sixty Seconds #148
- Line Numbers for SSMS Efficiency – SQL in Sixty Seconds #147
- Slow Running Query – SQL in Sixty Seconds #146
- Change Database and Table Collation – SQL in Sixty Seconds #145
- Infinite Loop – SQL in Sixty Seconds #144
- Efficiency Trick – Query Shortcut – SQL in Sixty Seconds #143
- SQL SERVER – 16 CPU vs 1 CPU : Performance Comparison – SQL in Sixty Seconds #142
- SQL SERVER – TOP and DISTINCT – Epic Confusion – SQL in Sixty Seconds #141
If you want me to create a video on any other topic, please let me know and I will be happy to create the same and will give you credit for it. Here is a link to YouTube.
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)