There have been many questions in my mailbox asking about exact steps to change the windows cluster and SQL failover cluster IP address to the new VLAN. In this blog, I would outline the steps which are needed to perform this migration.
If we look at the IP addresses in a SQL Cluster running on Windows Cluster, we can see about below IPs
- Cluster nodes IP addresses.
- SQL IP address in Cluster (also called as SQL Virtual IP)
- Cluster Access Point IP address (also called Cluster IP)
- To change the cluster nodes IP addresses below are the steps:
- Present new adapters with the new IP addresses
- Confirm that new network presented in the “Cluster network”. Make sure there are two connections from all cluster nodes. Also make sure that they are online.
- Make sure that this network is marked for use to cluster and heartbeat as well.
- To change the SQL IP address:
- Choose IP address resource, for which we need to change the IP, right click and go to properties, change the subnet to the new subnet and then enter the new IP address.
- Change the dependency, if needed. (If you created a new IP resource rather than modifying it)
- Make sure that the new IP address resource is coming online
- Now you can safely remove the old IP address if required
- To change the Cluster Access Point IP address:
- From the properties of the cluster name – click on ADD to add new IP address in the new subnet
- Make sure that the IP address is online
- If everything is fine, then you can safely remove the old IP.
For my client, this whole process took down around 15 minutes. Hope this would help you in planning such activity.
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)