While installing Service Pack 3 for SQL Server, I was welcomed by a strange error about UNKNOWN\Components.
Line 2421: MSI (s) (C8:98) [22:31:05:835]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types (x64) – Update ‘Service Pack 3 for SQL Server System CLR Types (64-bit) (KB2979597)’ could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20160105_195913\TFSDEV01\SQLSysClrTypes_Cpu64_1.log.
When I checked SQLSysClrTypes_Cpu64_1.log file, I found below error.
Line 2063: Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\0F02D6F45ECC29410AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\EDED107488810E94AB5E58875729C42A. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
Before attempting solutions, please take a backup of the registry. Microsoft’s built-in backup program allows for the ‘system state’ to be selectively backed up. You can also backup the Windows\System32\Config’ directory while taking backup.
This is a long KB and take a lot of time to find what exactly we need to run.
SECEDIT /CONFIGURE /CFG %WINDIR%\INF\DEFLTBASE.INF /DB DEFLTBASE.SDB /VERBOSE /AREAS REGKEYS
If above doesn’t work, then go to step 2
I have used the psexec tool to grant permission on the components folder for logged in account, after granting the permission SP3 installation completed successfully. Here are the steps:
- Close registry editor, if opened.
- Download and install psexec utility from the following link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
- Open a command prompt using ‘run as administrator’
- In the command prompt Navigate to the folder where PSEXEC is installed.
- Execute the following from the command prompt.
psexec -i -s cmd.exe
- The above command will open another command prompt running under ‘Local System’
- On the new command prompt, open Registry Editor by typing “regedit” and hitting the enter key.
- In registry editor, navigate to the following hive HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components
- Add the user account used to run the installation under permissions for the above hive and grant ‘Full control’ for that user.
- Click on Advanced.
- Under the Advanced security settings for Components choose the user and check the “Replace all existing inheritable permissions…………” check box as shown below and click OK
I could move forward by following step # 2.
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)
this did nothing to help me. i’m trying to install razer synapse 2.0 with these methods and both did not work. please help
I have no idea about razer synapse 2.0
Thanks a bunch.I was trying to install Veeam Windows agent (it is a backup application) and getting that error message. Your step 1 fixed my issue. Thanks a lot again.
Thanks for saving my day
Been struggling to install SQL since 2 weeks without any solution but THIS worked wonders for me!!! Thanks a lot for sharing.
Thank you very much! Help a lot!
Thanks worked with MS SQL SERVER installation.
Many thanks Mr.Pinal Dave , its helped to proceed with SQL installation