Here is the most debated Interview Question – Is Shrinking Database Good or Bad?
I will try to answer this in a single statement – “Shrinking Database is bad practice for performance as it increases fragmentation. It should be used in rare cases of running out of space on drive.”
I believe above statement is not enough to explain the various details associated with it. Here are few reference blog posts, I strongly suggest to read with regards to this subject.
- SQL SERVER – SHRINKDATABASE For Every Database in the SQL Server
- SQL SERVER – What the Business Says Is Not What the Business Wants
- SQL SERVER – Shrinking Database is Bad – Increases Fragmentation – Reduces Performance
- SQL SERVER – Database Worst Practices – New Town and New Job and New Disasters
- SQL SERVER – SHRINKFILE and TRUNCATE Log File in SQL Server
- SQL SERVER – Shrinking NDF and MDF Files – Readers’ Opinion
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)