As you might know I try hard to help the community via various channels. Comment on my blog is one of that channels. Here is a blog post which talks about error about Unauthorized Operation.
Recently, one of my community members shared a SQL Server 2016 setup log which me. He wanted to understand why he was seeing below error
Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
I asked complete log and below is what we saw.
Error: Local Discovery
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:21 Slp: Running Action: RunRemoteDiscoveryAction
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:21 Slp: Running discovery on local machine
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:23 Slp: Discovery on local machine is complete
Error: Node MyNode02
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:23 Slp: Running discovery on remote machine: MYNODE02
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:24 Slp: Discovery on MYNODE02 failed due to exception
Error: Node MyNode03
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:24 Slp: Running discovery on remote machine: MYNODE03
(01) 2016-07-30 04:23:28 Slp: Discovery on MYNODE03 is complete
I have highlighted section of log. First one is Local Discovery which worked. Second one was for node MyNode02 which failed with error and for third remote node MyNode03 it worked.
I asked him to check below.
- Start > Run > RegEdit
- File > Connect Network Registry.
- Provide remote machine name and connect.
He informed me that he was getting below error:
Solution: As explained in the error message, after starting “remote registry” service, the issue was resolved.
Have you ever seen some other setup error?
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)