A few days ago, I have received an email from users asking questions: How to run 64 bit SQL SERVER 2005 on a 32-bit operating system?
NO. It is not possible. 64 bit SQL Server can not run on a 32-bit operating system.
It is truly another way. SQL Server 32 bit can run on a 64-bit operating system.
Read additional documentation on 64-bit Computing with SQL Server 2005
Here are my few recent videos and I would like to know what is your feedback about them. You can subscribe to my youtube channel here.
- Zoom in SSMS – SQL in Sixty Seconds #153
- Transfer Schema of Table – SQL in Sixty Seconds #152
- Find a Table in Execution Plan – SQL in Sixty Seconds #151
- Transactions and Variables – SQL in Sixty Seconds #150
- Count Table in Cache – SQL in Sixty Seconds #149
- List All Sessions – SQL in Sixty Seconds #148
- Line Numbers for SSMS Efficiency – SQL in Sixty Seconds #147
- Slow Running Query – SQL in Sixty Seconds #146
- Change Database and Table Collation – SQL in Sixty Seconds #145
- Infinite Loop – SQL in Sixty Seconds #144
- Efficiency Trick – Query Shortcut – SQL in Sixty Seconds #143
- SQL SERVER – 16 CPU vs 1 CPU : Performance Comparison – SQL in Sixty Seconds #142
- SQL SERVER – TOP and DISTINCT – Epic Confusion – SQL in Sixty Seconds #141
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)
Can you give some info about the reverse? running 32-bit SQL Server on 64-bit OS?
If I run 32-bit sql on 64-bit environment, I have learnt that the 32-bit tools run in the WOW environment and hurts performance. The question is: will AWE have to be enabled to address memory over 4gb since the sql server is 32-bit? I realize 64-bit doesn’t have the limitation but will 32-bit sql address that memory over 4gb without awe. I believe it wont but I’d like to get a confirmation.
thanks for your time.
We are try to run SQL Server 32 bit to 64 bit operating system. But it won’t run.
I am also tasked with similar situation were i have to install 32bit on 64bit OS please advice on steps how to do this.
I have a sql 32bit running in os 64bit. Can i configure a AWE to support more memory ?? I tried to configure but the sql send me error about “lock pages”. Can anyone help me ?
We have sql server 2005 developers edition(SSIS,SSAS,SSRS etc) and servers are in cluster and OS of windows 2003 R2. We had configured this in 2007. At present the data size has been increased to four times..
Can u please provide info to upgrade the same to handle the load..