Many of you ask me… what are the key things you should look at on your servers to ensure they’re running as fast and optimized as possible. Let us discuss 3 important features for Monitoring Your Database Servers.
I was happy to speak to Chris from Redgate to get his expertise on this!
Tune into this short video to find out:
- How to understand the inventory of your estate (e.g. How many servers do you have, where are they, what patch level are they at, are your licences up to date or do you need an update?)
- How to understand the usage and allocation of tempdb – and any performance problems that might arise from it
- What is happening right now with your servers? Is there any blocking or slow queries and how can you act on them before they become problems?
Chris was showing me how to do this on Redgate’s database monitoring tool, SQL Monitor. SQL Monitor has come a really long way since it was first launched in 2008. Redgate has four development teams working on it, they release updates and improvements all the time and they are great at listening to customers’ feedback!
If you haven’t seen SQL Monitor in a while, you may want to take another look at its super evolution! We couldn’t see all of the key features in SQL Monitor today but there are plenty of ways you can go and check them out:
- Go and check out the live environment that Chris was demo-ing and play with it for yourself
- Get a free trial of SQL Monitor
- Check out this interactive infographic which shows some of the cool features added to SQL Monitor that might make your life so much easier!
I hope you enjoyed this blog post about Monitoring Your Database Servers.
Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)