While installing SQL Server Management Studio 18.0 (Preview) on my lab server, I got an error. In this blog, we would learn about error 0x800f081e which you also might see while installing other software also.
Here is the screenshot of the error 0x800f081e while installing SSMS
All we can see from the screenshot is that .Net Framework 4.7.2 installation had failure and code 0x800f081e. I clicked on the option provided in the screen to look at the log file. After scrolling and looking for error, I found below lines.
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]e000: BootstrapperEngineDataModel.OnError: Burn engine encountered error. PackageId: DotNet47, ErrorType: ExePackage, ErrorCode: -2146498530, Data: , ErrorMessage: , UIHint: 0
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]i000: MainViewModel.AddFailedCondition: Error: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2:
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]e000: MainViewModel.OnPackageError: setup failed for packageId: DotNet47, package: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2, errorCode: -2146498530, errorMessage:
- [079C:2250][2019-01-22T00:52:14]e000: Error 0x800f081e: Process returned error: 0x800f081e
- [079C:2250][2019-01-22T00:52:14]e000: Error 0x800f081e: Failed to execute EXE package.
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]e000: Error 0x800f081e: Failed to configure per-machine EXE package.
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageAction: Install Completed for package Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]i319: Applied execute package: DotNet47, result: 0x800f081e, restart: None
- [0518:1DF0][2019-01-22T00:52:14]e000: Error 0x800f081e: Failed to execute EXE package.
I have added a bullet on each line to have better readability in the blog. In the same folder where I had SSMS setup logs, there was another file for .NET install also, which also shows the same error.
I searched further and found below this: Error 0x800F081E is CBS_E_NOT_APPLICABLE which means that the update can’t be installed on the current system. This happens when a minimal install requirement is missing, or the installed files are on a higher version.
After doing some looking through the internet, I found that simply updating windows to the most recent version would automatically update .NET framework to the most recent version.
For me, the error was fixed after I installed pending windows update (looks like some update of .NET 4.7.2 was pushed) and then did a reboot of the server. After this, the installation of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) went well.
Have you seen a similar error? What was the solution which worked for you?
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)