During my consultancy engagement, my client’s DBA team was installing SQL Server and getting an error. Since they know my work style, I got pulled into fixing that issue. In this blog, we would learn how to fix SQL installation error: Validation for setting ‘AGTSVCACCOUNT’ failed. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable.
As I mentioned above, they were using command line-based installation. So, my first plan was action was – show me the setup log and look for the exact error. If you don’t know the trick to look at setup logs, you should know that you need to look at Detail.txt and search for “at Microsoft”. Once found, then look few lines above and you should find some error. Here is what I saw in their setup log.
Slp: Validation for setting ‘AGTSVCACCOUNT’ failed. Error message: The RPC server is unavailable.
Slp: Validation for setting ‘ISSVCAccount’ failed. Error message: The credentials you provided for the Integration Services service are invalid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the Integration Services service.
Slp: Validation for setting ‘SQLSVCACCOUNT’ failed. Error message: The SQL Server service account login or password is not valid. Use SQL Server Configuration Manager to update the service account.
Slp: Error: Action “Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ValidateFeatureSettingsAction” threw an exception during execution.
Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: The RPC server is unavailable.
Slp: —> Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.InputSettingValidationException: The RPC server is unavailable.
Slp: —> Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Agent.InputValidationException: The RPC server is unavailable.
As soon as I saw the error- “The RPC server is unavailable” while validating domain account, I realized that I have seen this error earlier. It didn’t take much time for me to find this on my own blog.
Looks like Microsoft has fixed the “hang” issue which I blogged earlier. But the solution was the same which worked for this client also. We followed the same steps as mentioned in my blog and found that they missed using FQDN for the domain controller. Instead, they gave an only partial name.
As you can see the image, we opened network connections and went to properties on domain network adapter and went all the way down to DNS tab to fix the suffix. You need to click on all the numbered circles in sequence.
Once we fixed DNS suffix, the setup worked like a charm.
Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)