SQL SERVER – Very Powerful and Feature-Rich Backup, Zip and FTP Utility SQLBackupAndFTP

It goes without saying that Database Backup is the most important task for any Database Administrator (DBA). Naturally, large organizations always have a team of DBAs who execute Database Backup tasks. No matter how big or small an organization is, the importance of database backup remains the same across the board. It’s a common practice in several organizations to upload the backup to their remote location for additional safety. I totally vouch for this safety measure of having their additional backup on remote/satellite location. This redundancy comes in handy whenever a catastrophe of not having proper backup surfaces abruptly.

While I was searching online for a very simple solution for one of my clients, I came across a small-sized but feature-rich application from SqlBackupAndFTP.com. This practical application has been created by Pranas.NET (http://pranas.net) I have made extensive use of this tool for some time now and undoubtedly, this tool is very impressive by all standards!

To put it simply, SQLBackupAndFTP is MS SQL Server backup software. This tool performs several tasks such as running scheduled backups of SQL Server or SQL Server Express databases, zipping the backups, storing them on a network or on a FTP server, removing old backups, and finally, sending an e-mail confirmation on job’s success or failure. Besides, SQLBackupAndFTP Free is freeware, which is free from any spyware. Best of all, this ingeniously simple tool is extremely affordable for all. You just need to install it on the server and you can get up and running really fast.

Given below are some important tasks which this tool can perform using daily scheduler:
•    Backup SQL Server Database
•    Zip the backups
•    Encrypt the backups
•    FTP the backups to remove FTP server
•    Move file to local area network
•    Send final status of tasks in email.

Let us now see how we can take backup and move it to the desired folder.

Image 1: First, connect to the desired server.

Image 2: As you can see, all the settings are very easy as described in the following image. Pay attention to these very simple, one screen settings. From database selection to job scheduling, you can configure everything from this page itself.

Image 3: This screen describes all the steps that are being performed. User can easily view the status of all the jobs – either success or failure – on this page.

Image 4: The following screen displays the settings for advanced users who have to deal with large database.

Image 5: This screen displays email regarding final status of tasks, which is sent to the user after task completion.

Now, a question that might baffle your mind is – how this tool is better than maintenance tasks available in SQL Server. Well, here goes the answer. Maintenance tasks are easy to set up for backups; however, SQLBackupAndFTP have integrated solution for encryption, FTP and email which make it superior to maintenance tasks in every aspect.

I would like to present my unbiased view about this tool. At the same time, I want to give my readers a broad perspective about backup tools in general.  On comparing this tool with other backup tools I have experienced that it is not the fanciest tool to manage backups or check their health. This is one tool that smoothly performs the job in a few steps compared to native SQL Server backup, which takes numerous steps to execute the same job.

SQLBackupAndFTP is best suited for developers/DBAs who just want to ensure that they have schedule job that takes care of backup and moves them to appropriate place. In fact, it is ideal for any SQL Server database where backups need to be sent every day to a remote FTP server. It saves maintenance time on any SQL Server version. Besides, it is especially useful for SQL Server Express 2005 and SQL Server Express 2008, as they lack built in tools for backup.

This tool is compatible with almost all the known SQL Server versions. It works with SQL Server 2008 (all versions) and many of the previous versions.

While testing this tool, I noticed that there are few limitations. It does not support differential or transaction backups. I also found that this tool only works on local SQL Server instances and cannot connect to another SQL Server on LAN. When I contacted support, I came to know that they are planning to release its updated version in April 2009, which will not have any such limitations.

I strongly recommend this tool to all the DBAs. They must try it as it is absolutely free and does exactly what it promises. You can download your free copy of the tool from here.

Please share your experience about using this tool. I am eager to receive your feedback regarding this article.

, , ,
SQL SERVER – Reseed Identity of Table – Table Missing Identity Values – Gap in Identity Column
SQLAuthority News – Launch of Gandhinagar SQL Server User Group

• Thanks Pinal. I am in the middle of hunting for a tool just like this. Good timing. This definitely helps.

Cheers, Kent

• will u plz give help in bulk uploading, how to check validation (for ex “email format,phone number etc ) when we read data from a text file

• Oh oh.

That’s what I call a must-have-tool !

• Man,

I downloaded this tool, this is awesome.

How did you come across this tool Pinal?

• Guys,

This person is making money on our originally invented concept.

Any way good review.

Michelle

its too good.

I am interested to know, How did you come to this setup?

How this things come into you mind ? :)

Its awesome.

Tejas

This is a neat tool, Currently we use backup software from Redgate, it is good as well provided compressed backups with encryption.

• SQLBackupAndFTP Free vs Premium ($49) compare features

It’s a nice tool for start (I have came across it, but don’t need to use it), I have built something with SQL backup jobs + SyncBack copy + SyncBack FTP download + SQL restore jobs (use Red Gate Backup too). It was F-U-N

RedGate SQL Backup is a good tool, and they have free FTPcopy utility as well

• Michelle Sarfy
    April 3, 2009 10:58 am

Good tool and nice review.

You are true SQL RockStar!

• Hi Strongly suggest that you write another post explaining ll the features of this product.

Very easy to understand.

Tool size is so small that it can hardly have any spyware … ha ha… that has to stay spyware free :)

Sakti

• Rushi Makdi
    April 3, 2009 2:01 pm

so what will be in the version of April 2009?

I think the biggest limitation is that it can not connect to other server in net but as you say it will be fixed in April 2009, what else that version have.

• Pinal,

You still did not answer how did you come across this tool. This is one great tool.

Cheers,

• Ruslan Sudentas
    April 3, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi! I am one of the SQLBackupAndFTP creators. Pinal, thank you for a great review and guys, thank you for warm comments.
    In about a month we plan to add “Remote Backup” functionality to the program. It is not a fix, but a new feature. Local backups are easy with BACKUP DATABASE, but remote mean we need to script it. Scripting is simple with SMO, but then we’d need to add 14MB libraries to our current 0.5MB product. So we write it from scratch instead – but that’s not an easy task.
    After that we’ll add Differential and maybe Transaction Log options for advanced users.
    In summer 2009 we plan to launch a new super easy no-configuration (just connection string) required subscription-based program that will upload backups to our web site and users will be able to access their files, logs and set backup options from our site.
    If you have questions, post them here or on our site:
    Thank you again.

• Is there any demo of this in UG?

• Hello Pinal,

You still have not answered my question. Would you present demo of this software in UG presentation?

I am intersted in demo of this tool, what about advance screen?

Also I read through all the comments, one question you need to answer is how did you come across this wonderful tool.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yaroslav Pentsarskyy
    April 13, 2009 4:59 am

Here is an instruction how to implement simple backup to an FTP location automatically based on schedule:

• Mark Langman
    April 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Nicest Tool!

I come across. Dave we love your review!

I am telling my boss to get Pro version.

Mark L
    (Syscon)

• So many good comments! Go to try once!

Anybody is there any spyware?

• Ruslan Sudentas
    May 9, 2009 10:48 am

I am happy to inform everybody that we’ve just released SqlBackupAndFTP v.3.0 with remote SQL server backup through scripting feature. Thank you for your warm welcome.

• @Ruslan Sudentas,

I congratulate you for releasing new version. Good to know that remove SQL Server backup is now possible.

Any of readers would like to try it out and let us know feedback?

Best Regards,
      Pinal

• Would the FTP multi-threaded to maximize data transfer rate?
      Thanks.
      Vincent.

• This is a truly excellent tool, recommended.

So simple to use and worked immediately.

The zipped backups are so much more compact too.

Only problem was hooking up to my mail account, but will probably just get a google account especially for this.