SQL SERVER – Retrieve Current DateTime in SQL Server CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, GETDATE(), {fn NOW()}

There are three ways to retrieve the current DateTime in SQL SERVER. CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, GETDATE(), {fn NOW()}

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP is a nondeterministic function. Views and expressions that reference this column cannot be indexed. CURRENT_TIMESTAMP can be used to print the current date and time every time that the report is produced.

GETDATE()
GETDATE is a nondeterministic function. Views and expressions that reference this column cannot be indexed. GETDATE can be used to print the current date and time every time that the report is produced.

{fn Now()}
The {fn Now()} is an ODBC canonical function which can be used in T-SQL since the OLE DB provider for SQL Server supports them. {fn Now()} can be used to print the current date and time every time that the report is produced.

If you run following script in Query Analyzer. I will give you the same results. If you see the execution plan there is no performance difference. It is the same for all the three select statements.

SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
SELECT {fn NOW()}
SELECT GETDATE()

Performance:
There is absolutely no difference in using any of them. As they are absolutely the same.

My Preference:
I like GETDATE(). Why? Why bother when they are the same!!!

Quick Video on the same subject about datetime

SQL DateTime, SQL Function, SQL Scripts, SQL Server
SQL SERVER – Find Length of Text Field
SQLAuthority.com News – iGoogle Gadget Published

• Hello,
    How can I specify a condtion to achieve the required date where
    “required date= current date -13months”

• RequiredDate = (sysdate – interval ’13’ month)

• Thank you for your time Garethpn. But I get an error. sysdate is not a recognized function. and if it is GETDATE() -interval’13’month, I have an error “incorrect syntax near month”

• Sysdate only works in ORACLE. In SQL Server you need to use getdate()

RequiredDate = dateadd(month,-13,getdate())

• Praveen Acharya
    March 21, 2012 1:34 pm

thanks pinal for ur help. can u pls help in some question….is SQL/PLI is similar to ODBC????also to JDBC?????

• hi

i want to fetch the data according to particular time i select. suppose i want to fetch data between date 10 to 15 and for particular hr 16:00 then what is the suitable query for that. kindly help me

• hi I am Ram,

I want to get last one year records …how can i get it..

i used this following SP. to get it.

alter procedure dev_GetAllWeekCharts_M
    @userID bigint,
    @StartDate datetime

as

BEGIN

declare @EndDate datetime = dateadd(Year, -1, @StartDate)

SELECT [weight],convert(varchar,Updateddate,101)[Updateddate] into #tempWeight from dev_UserAlerts_WeightTracking
    where userid = @Userid and UpdatedDate between @EndDate and @StartDate
    ;with aweek(day,weight) as
    ( select @StartDate as day,’0′ as weight
    union all
    select day – 1,’0′ as weight from aweek
    where day > @EndDate )

select aweek.day as WeightDate ,case when #tempWeight.weight IS NULL then ‘0’ else #tempWeight.weight end as weight
    from aweek left outer join #tempWeight on #tempWeight.Updateddate = aweek.day order by WeightDate asc
    Drop table #tempWeight

END

exec dev_GetAllWeekCharts_M 4,’2012/04/02′

But is show error message as
    (5 row(s) affected)
    Msg 530, Level 16, State 1, Procedure dev_EvolveSystems_GetAllWeekCharts_M, Line 14
    The statement terminated. The maximum recursion 100 has been exhausted before statement completion.

thanks.
    RAM

• Please tell me how get MIN Amount Date between 2011-12-31 and 2012-03-31 below table

Date Amount
    2011-11-01 4,500.00
    2012-02-15 5,300.00
    2012-03-16 6,000.00

• hi can u help me plz i want to get all data from current date to last date till which schedule hv been created from schedule tabel that contain date column

• Mirwais Ahmadzai
    April 14, 2012 2:42 am

dear frindes please, who can help me i want to get only year from the database and then subtract a value from it. plz looking for your kind help.

• @Mirwais,

In order to just extract the year, use command

select DATEPART(year,getdate())

Example of how to substract value from it:

select 2014 – DATEPART(year,getdate())

• i wan to retrive data from existing table but i can’t compare datefield’s date(18-APR-2012) to current month

• vishal pandey
    April 30, 2012 5:43 pm

vishal pandey
    dear friend i am also best make sql softwere

• hello,
    I have tried
    DECLARE @X int
    SET @X= DAY(getdate())
    and the same things for year and month

and I increase DAY and I want to make that values in datetime (yyyy-mm-dd)
    how can I do that

• actually my problem is that I want to get date from my existing table and increase day then format new datetime

• Hi sir i want to fetch date from system but the condition is that
    I want to fetch yesterdays and current date before 5:30 pm and the date must be not in 2nd and Third saturday and other sundays

• HI..
    I working on a oracle db but my db creashed suddenly,how can i take backup of my db.plz help

• Sachin Karche
    June 1, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks …giving first page in Google search

Sachin Karche

• Dinesh Vishe
    June 15, 2012 6:15 pm

How insert cuurect date time in MSSQL table ??
    Anyone Plz help…

• This syntax is used to display only date (2011-11-01 00:00:00 )
    eg syntax:

convert(varchar(10),Date_Da,101) as Date_Da

This Date_Da that field is our table date field

• Anand Upadhyay
    July 9, 2012 7:30 pm

sir;
    i am facing a problem .i want to find current date and time of indian format .
    when we host the application then time is not in good format as like pm to change in am
    sir, plz help me

• I’m wanting to find records that are older than 85 days from today. When I put the following code: Category_3 < dateadd(day, -85, getdate())
    Once excuted I then get the following error:
    The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value. Error Code: 242

Any ideas on how to fix this?

• I fixed my own issue. Should have had:
      Category_3 < Convert(Varchar(10),dateadd(day, -85, getdate()))

However now would love to sort these results in DESC order. ORDER BY Category_3 DESC doesn't work (I assume because of the Varchar). Any ideas?

• lashinipriya
    July 30, 2012 3:06 pm

I want month and year-wise Reports so how to pass Month and Year Parameters in Same Stored Procedure..Please Help Me as soon as