ERROR 1222: Lock request time out period exceeded.
- Locate the transaction that is holding the lock on the required resource, if possible. Use sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks and sys.dm_tran_locksdynamic management views.
- If the transaction is still holding the lock, terminate that transaction if appropriate.
- Execute the query again.
In this scenario following changes must be done in the offending transaction:
1) Modify the Transaction use query hints (use RECOMPILE,MAXDOPhints)
2) Run big Transaction in smaller transactions.
3) Upgrade Hardware if possible.
4) To prevent this, make sure every BEGIN TRANSACTION has COMMIT
5) If you are running this in SQL Server Management Studio, you can close the query windows and it will automatically close the transaction.
If this error occurs frequently change the lock time-out period or modify the offending transactions so that they hold the lock in less time.
Let me know if you have faced this problem in the past and how did you resolved it.
Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)