SQL SERVER – Fix : Error 1418 – Microsoft SQL Server – The server network address can not be reached

Error 1418 – Microsoft SQL Server – The server network address cannot be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and reissue the command

The server network endpoint did not respond because the specified server network address cannot be reached or does not exist.


Step 1) Your system Firewall should not block SQL Server port.

Step 2) Go to Computer Management >> Service and Application >> SQL Server 2005 Configuration >> Network Configuration
Enable TCP/IP protocol. Make sure that SQL SERVER port is by Default 1433.

Just to make sure follow one more step which may or may not be necessary.

Step 3) Go to Computer Management >> Service and Application >> SQL Server 2005 Configuration >> Client Configuration
Enable TCP/IP protocol.

Well, this blog about error 1418 is pretty straight forward. Do let me know if you find it easy to solve this problem. Though this blog post was written to the SQL Server 2005 it is still true and it is applicable to the latest version of SQL Server as well.

If you find any similar errors in your environment, please let me know and I will be happy to write about them on this blog.

Reference: Pinal Dave (https://blog.sqlauthority.com)

, , , ,
Previous Post
SQL SERVER – 64 bit Architecture and White Paper
Next Post

Related Posts

112 Comments. Leave new

  • HI everybody, im having the same problem with our nemesis (1418) i have 2 instances in the same machine ( win server 2008) , dns, ports check, firewall check, norecovery mode check……..

  • Hi,
    I was trying to set mirror without using domain accounts. So I had Sql server service running on both principal and mirror server(no witness)under administrator account which I had with the same password. Telnet on 5022 on both servers worked fine, but I was getting 1418 error. In that case the problem for sure was with the permissions. I found that I couldn’t login to one of the servers using windows authentication and user: administrator. I created that login and gave it sysadmin server role. I loged in as administrator in sql studio and after that and mirror was established.

  • Solution: If your using local accounts
    1. Change Service accounts for MSSQL server from Local System to Administrator Account ( Principalserver\Administrator and Mirrorserver\Administrator)
    2. Restart the Mirroring

  • I could fix it by doing the following:
    1- using Domain user has admin right to run both of SQL Service and SQL Agent in (Principal, Witness, and Mirroring) Servers.
    2- Restart all serivices
    3- Drop Current openned EndPoints and recreat them once again using TSQL or SSMS wizard itself.
    4-Check the Encryption box for all servers (Principal, Witness, Mirror)

    Hope this help

  • Subhajit
    Hi, everyone,
    After several months searching i today solved the problem. If above all are ok, i mean –
    1) All end points for principal, mirror, witness server instance are listening properly and status is started for all instances.
    2) Same domain account has been created for all instances and sysadmin permission has been given.

    Then last thing to do is :

    3) add NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE login account for both mirror, principal and witness server instances and make sure it has sysadmin server role permission. That’s it. This solves my problem. I hope this will solve the problems of many.

    Thank you. :)

  • hi,
    I m facing 1418 error in db mirroring
    TCP://mirror:5023 can not be reached or doesnot exist . check the network address name and the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational (Microsoft sql server error no: 1418)

    can you please send me how to create one login in another instance and the same in another instance…..

  • I was having exactly same problem and tried all the steps mentioned above. But this dint work, Since i was using test environment, Added another instance on the same server and still found the same issue for error 1418 for tcp. Looked at the services and my server service and Browser service were using NTAuthority network servcie account, changed these to Domain user ( i added the user as sysadmin) and it started working. Hope you will find this helpful.

  • I have a faced same issue, but your solution its really helpful now issues has been solved. Sincere thanks to Pinal.


Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Exit mobile version