I was recently called into create POC (Proof of Concept) for a project which was being planned for use StreamInsight. When I was there, I was also asked to give overview of the this feature to their CTO (who had only 15 minutes to spare). Usually I do not like sudden change of plans but the dynamic nature of consultation always gives me motivation to work more. I quickly talked few things in the session. In the evening, I had received the minutes of the meeting and had brief note regarding my discussion on StreamInsight. I am copy pasting the same brief note over here.
- StreamInsight is platform for development and deployment of Complex Event Processing (CEP) applications
- CEP involves processing and querying of event data stream
- Data is queried “on the fly” or rather “in flight”
- CEP is mainly for high data rates and near-zero latency
- CEPdeals with multiple concurrent event sources
- CEP triggers immediate response actions to the events
- CEP is not targeted to regular run of the mills relational database applications
- StreamInsight has very high -throughput stream processing .NET based development and processing architecture
- StreamInsight is highly parallel execution platform with in-memory caches
- The “In flight” processes are done using incremental result computations
- Due to incoming events triggers there is no polling overhead
- The architecture can handle out-of-order events
- StreamInsightserver hides complexity for developer who wants to focus on query logic only
- In Short StreamInsight is the way to go to query data which arrives too fast to store.
I hope this is useful to someone who is looking for high level overview of the StreamInsight.
Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)