SQL SERVER – DVM sys.dm_os_sys_info Column Name Changed in SQL Server 2012

Have you ever faced situation where something does not work? When you try to fix it ‑ you enjoy fixing it and started to appreciate the breaking changes. Well, this is exactly I felt yesterday. Before I begin my story, I want to candidly state that I do not encourage anybody to use * in the SELECT statement.

One of the my DBA friends, who always used my performance tuning script, sent me an email yesterday with the following question -

“Every time I want to retrieve OS related information in SQL Server, I use DMV sys.dm_os_sys_info. I just upgraded my SQL Server edition from 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012 RC0, and it suddenly stopped working. Well, this is not the production server; so the issue is not big yet – but, eventually I need to resolve this error. Any suggestion?”

The funny thing about this was that the original email was very long, but it did not talk about what the exact error is besides that the query is not working. I think this is the disadvantage of being too friendly on email sometimes. Well, nevertheless, I quickly looked at the DMV on my SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2012 RC0 version.

To my surprise, I found out that there were few columns that are renamed in SQL Server 2012 RC0. Usually, when people see breaking changes, they do not like it; but when I see these changes, I was happy as new names were meaningful, and additionally, their new conversion is much more practical and useful.

Here are the columns’ previous names:

 

Previous Column Name New Column Name
physical_memory_in_bytes physical_memory_kb
bpool_commit_target committed_target_kb
bpool_visible visible_target_kb
virtual_memory_in_bytes virtual_memory_kb
bpool_commited committed_kb

If you read it carefully, then you will notice that new columns now display few results in the kb, whereas earlier results were in bytes. When I see the results in bytes, I always get confused as I cannot guess what exactly it will convert into. I like to see results in kb, and I am glad that new columns are now displaying the results in kb.

I sent the details of the new columns to my friend and ask him to check the columns used in application. From my comment, he immediately realized why he was facing such an error and fixed it.

Overall, all is well at the end, and I learned something new.

Reference: Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)

About these ads

5 thoughts on “SQL SERVER – DVM sys.dm_os_sys_info Column Name Changed in SQL Server 2012

  1. Pingback: SQL SERVER – Weekly Series – Memory Lane – #005 « SQL Server Journey with SQL Authority

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s