SQL Server Express is one of the most valuable products of Microsoft. Very often, I face many questions with regard to SQL Server Express. Today, we will be covering some of the most commonly asked questions.
Q: What is the cost of SQL Server Express?
A: SQL Server Express is a FREE product from Microsoft.
Q: Where can I find more details about SQL Server Express?
A: On official Microsoft Site: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx
Q: Why should I use SQL Server Express when I have full version available?
A: Usually, I install only the license version product on my system. When I do not have to use all the features of SQL Server, I install SQL Server Express.
Q: What is the maximum size per database for SQL Server Express?
A: SQL Server Express supports a maximum size of 4 GB per database, which excludes all the log files. 4 GB is not a very large size; however, if database is properly designed and the tables are properly arranged in a separate database, this limitation can be resolved to a certain extent.
Q: Can MySQL be compared with SQL Server Express as both of them are free products?
A: Yes. Both are free and have their own space. However, thus far, I have never faced a situation wherein the task that can be accomplished by using MySQL is not accomplished by SQL Server Express.
Q: Does SQL Server have sufficient help available online?
A: Yes. There are so many online help resources available for SQL Server Express that user will find strongest community for any FREE product.
Let me give you quick list of the online help resources. Even though I took some time to build this reference list, I am sure that all of you will appreciate this and will share with others, which is worth the effort!
- SQL Server 2008 Product Overview
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Overview
- SQL Server Express Edition Comparison
- Downloading SQL Server2005 SP2 Express Edition
- Installation Requirements for SQL Server Express
- Upgrading from SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to Workgroup or Standard Editions
- Installing SQL Server Express Edition
- Building and shipping applications using SQL Server Express 2005
- Getting Started – How To: SQL Server Express
- Walkthrough: Creating an Application by Using SQL Server Express and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
- Managing SQL Server Express Edition with Management Studio Express
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition User Instances
- Using the sqlcmd Utility (SQL Server Express)
- How to manage the SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition by using the osql utility
- Distributing SQL Server Express
- Reporting Services in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services
- How to: Attach a Database File to SQL Server Express
- Replication in SQL Server Express
- Embedding SQL Server Express into Custom Applications
- View SQL Server Express Edition Case Studies
- SQL Server Express Developer Infocenter
- How to verify and change the system administrator password in MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- How SQL Server 2005 Express Edition determines the CPU count and uses the CPUs during processing
- How to connect to an instance of SQL Server Desktop Edition or of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- How to detect the status of the SQL Server Express service or start the SQL Server Express service by using Visual Basic or Visual C#
- How to perform full-text search related tasks in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services
- 8-Part series of Webcasts over SQL Server Express Edition
- Using Service Broker in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for Reliable Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Implementations (Level 300)
- Introducing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition: Your Smart Client Data Store (Level 200)
- TechNet Webcast: SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (Level 200)
Reference : Pinal Dave (http://blog.sqlauthority.com)