Note: Download Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 by Microsoft
The Microsoft SQL Server Management Pack provides both proactive and reactive monitoring of SQL Server 2008, 2005 and SQL Server 2000 in an enterprise environment. Availability and configuration monitoring, performance data collection, and default thresholds are built for enterprise-level monitoring. Both local and remote connectivity checks help ensure database availability.
With the embedded expertise in the SQL Server Management Pack, you can proactively manage SQL Server, and identify issues before they become critical. This Management Pack increases the security, availability, and performance of your SQL Server infrastructure.
The Microsoft SQL Server Management Pack Guide that comes with the pack describes the content of the management pack, and describes how to deploy it.
- Monitoring the state of the included services such as SQL Server, SQL Agent, Report Server, Notification Services
- Monitoring the state of databases
- Monitoring the available space in databases, configurable by % or MB
- Ensuring databases are configured correctly
- Ensure clients can connect to the SQL Server
- Monitor blocked processes
- Watch for failed agent jobs, and jobs taking an excessive time to execute
- Monitor the health of replication and alert on failures
- Monitor the state of Database Mirroring
Abstract courtesy : Microsoft
Reference : Pinal Dave (http://blog.SQLAuthority.com)